By Benjamin Wiker
These are their evil opposites. From Machiavelli's The Prince to Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto to Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male, those "influential" books have resulted in struggle, genocide, totalitarian oppression, kin breakdown, and disastrous social experiments. And but those authors' undesirable rules are nonetheless well known and pervasive--in truth, they may effect your personal considering with out your figuring out it. right here with the antidote is Professor Benjamin Wiker. In his scintillating new e-book, 10 Books That Screwed Up the realm (And five Others that did not Help), he seizes every one of those evil books via its malignant center and exposes it to the sunshine of day. during this witty, discovered, and provocative exposé, you are going to learn:
* Why Machiavelli's The Prince used to be the foundation for a protracted checklist of tyrannies (Stalin had it on his nightstand)
* How Descartes' Discourse on approach "proved" God's lifestyles merely by means of making Him a production of our personal ego
* How Hobbes' Leviathan resulted in the assumption that we have got a "right" to no matter what we want
* Why Marx and Engels's Communist Manifesto may win the award for the main malicious ebook ever written
* How Darwin's The Descent of guy proves he meant "survival of the fittest" to be utilized to human society
* How Nietzsche's past stable and Evil issued the decision for a global governed completely through the "will to power"
* How Hitler's Mein Kampf was once a type of "spiritualized Darwinism" that debts for his genocidal anti-Semitism
* How the pansexual paradise defined in Margaret Mead's Coming of Age in Samoa became out to be a production of her personal sexual confusions and aspirations
* Why Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male used to be easily autobiography masquerading as science
Witty, surprising, and instructive, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area bargains a short schooling at the worst rules in human history--and how we will be able to steer clear of them within the future.
Read Online or Download 10 Books that Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help PDF
Best books & reading books
Charles Dickens died in 1870, an identical 12 months within which common basic schooling was once brought. in the course of the following iteration a mass studying public emerged, and the time period 'best-seller' was once coined. In new and inexpensive variations Dickens's tales offered highly, yet those have been steadily outstripped in volume by means of the likes of corridor Caine and Marie Corelli, Charles Garvice and Nat Gould.
The heritage of the publication in Tibet includes greater than literary tendencies and exchange routes. Functioning as fabric, highbrow, and symbolic item, the booklet has been an instrumental device within the development of Tibetan energy and authority, and its heritage opens a very important window onto the cultural, highbrow, and financial lifetime of an immensely influential Buddhist society.
Persian literature is the jewel within the crown of Persian tradition. It has profoundly stimulated the literatures of Ottoman Turkey, Muslim India and Turkic primary Asia. it's been a resource of proposal for Goethe, Emerson, Matthew Arnold and Jorge Luis Borges between others, and praised through William Jones, Tagore, E.
This insightful and skillfully written booklet examines how the preferred media of the Victorian period sustained and reworked the reputations of Romantic writers. Tom Mole presents a brand new reception background of Lord Byron, Felicia Hemans, Sir Walter Scott, Percy Bysshe Shelley, and William Wordsworth—one that strikes past the punctual historicism of a lot fresh feedback and the slim horizons of earlier reception histories.
- Éducation aux archives: Théorie, pratique et valorisation (Études africaines) (French Edition)
- The Mother of All Booklists: The 500 Most Recommended Nonfiction Reads for Ages 3 to 103
- The Formation of a National Audience in Italy, 1750–1890: Readers and Spectators of Italian Culture (The Fairleigh Dickinson University Press Series in Italian Studies)
- How to Do Things with Fictions
Additional resources for 10 Books that Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help
10 Books that Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help by Benjamin Wiker